Location police station Middleton
Map location in the vicinity
Year opened unknown
Year closed unknown
Century of Operation 1800-1899
Building Type Police Station
'This lock ip house consists of two cells in a cellar of the police station, and is situated about the centre of the village. The building is private property, rented by the county ... [There are two cells] The latter cell is quite dark; but the police sergeant in charge of the lock up house stated that the cell was never used. The other cell is lighted by a grated opening communicating with another cellar which has a glazed window, and is tolerably light. The cells are damp; but they are warmed by an iron stove pipe which passes through them ... There are wooden benches to lie upon; and the keeper stated, that a magistrate, residing in the neighbourhood, had sent him two blankets for the use of the prisoners.'
Inspectors of Prisons of Great Britain IV. Northern District, Thirteenth Report (Parl. Papers, 1847-8, XXXVI.361), p.81
We don’t have any historical or contemporary pictures of this lock-up at present. If you could give us one, or maybe several, we would be delighted! Follow this link to submit an image of this lock-up. For more information on how to photograph lock ups for the purposes of historical research, please see our User Guide.