Location In churchyard of St Michael and All Angels, Marden
Map location exact or closely approximate
Year opened Unknown
Year closed c.1860
Century of Operation 1800-1899
Building Type Stocks
Remarks Once stood in front of the old court house (now a farm shop at junction of Howland Road and Albion Road). Moved in 1882 to the churchyard. May also have served as a whipping post.
'The village Stocks...stood by the Court House where local justice was meted out since the 1400s...the Stocks may possibly have served as a whipping post...The stocks were last used in the 1860s. There is an engraving of the Court House, dated 1882, where the stocks can be dimly seen stored inside. In 1882 they were removed...to St Michael’s and All Angels Churchyard...to the west of the entrance porch. '
The History of Marden, 'The Stocks'.
Description: Village stocks in the churchyard of St Michael and All Angels, Marden