Location Former Market Place, Manchester
Map location in the vicinity
Year opened Unknown
Year closed Unknown
Building Type Lock-Up
Remarks Former Market Place has now been redeveloped. Adjacent to stocks (see separate listing)
'The Medieval market cross of Manchester was standing in 1680. It was situated at the eastern end of the oblong space occupied at one time by the 'Old Shambles' in the market place and opposite the Bull's Head Inn. Nearby stood the court house (SJ 89 NW 19), stocks, gibbet and cage. A new cross, probably simply an obelisk, was erected in 1725 but in 1816 this was removed together with the stocks and pillory. The whole area of the former market place has been re-developed'
Historic England PastScape, 'Market Cross', Manchester
We don’t have any historical or contemporary pictures of this lock-up at present. If you could give us one, or maybe several, we would be delighted! Follow this link to submit an image of this lock-up. For more information on how to photograph lock ups for the purposes of historical research, please see our User Guide.