Location Under former junior school (St Mary's School) on High Street Luddenden
Map location exact or closely approximate
Year opened 1825
Year closed unknown
Century of Operation 1800-1899
Building Type Lock-Up
Remarks Three cells, located in the basement of the former junior school in Luddenden, accessed via the street. One cell has since been bricked up. Above two cells are inscribed, on the lintel, the names of two adjacent townships, Midgley and Warley, suggesting that this lock-up was shared by the three townships , the boundaries of which met at Luddenden Brook (which ran parallel to the High Street).
'SOWERBY BRIDGE HIGH STREET SE 0426 (west side), Luddenden 5/90 Luddenden Junior Church of England School GV II School. 1825, enlarged 1856, restored and extended 1928 ... Basement: right hand bay has 3 doorways, one blocked, the other 2 with old board doors the lintels inscribed 'MIDGLEY' and 'WARLEY' (gave access to 2 lock-ups for the use of the respective townships (which meet at Luddenden Brook)).'
Historic England, National Heritage List for England, 'Luddenden Junior Church of England School, Calderdale', LEN 1134508
Description: Exterior of the lock-up, showing the three cell doors with the names of local townships inscribed in the lintels above. (c.2003)
Photo by: © David Cant (with kind permission)
Description: Exterior, showing the corner of the building (junction of High Street and Old Lane, and cell doors painted black (c.2008)
Photo by: Photo © Betty Longbottom (cc-by-sa/2.0)