Location town hall, Eastgate Louth
Map location in the vicinity
Year opened unknown
Year closed 1854
Century of Operation 1800-1899
Building Type Town Hall
Remarks Probably closed in 1854 when the new town hall, complete with lock ups, was completed.
'The municipal authorities of this borough have erected a new lock-up, and ceased to occipy the wretched places formerly appropriated for prisoners in custody under charge. The new building adjoins the town hall, and consists of lodgings for the superintendent of police, three cells for males, and one for females. They are provided with water-closets, and well adapted for their purpose. They were clean and neat on the day of inspection, and without a prisoner.'
Inspectors of Prisons of Great Britain II. Northern and Eastern District, Fifth Report (Parl. Papers, 1840, XXV.565), p.33
'1854 and 1855 in erecting the new Town Hall, a large and handsome building in Eastgate, in the Italian style, of brick and stucco mouldings; comprising the Council Chamber, a very spacious and elegant room for Balls, Concerts, Public Meetings, etc; a Court Room, Town Clerks offices, Police Station, Prison Cells, etc.'
William White, History, Gazetteer and Directory of Lincolnshire (Sheffield, 1856), p. 247
We don’t have any historical or contemporary pictures of this lock-up at present. If you could give us one, or maybe several, we would be delighted! Follow this link to submit an image of this lock-up. For more information on how to photograph lock ups for the purposes of historical research, please see our User Guide.