Location unknown Liscard
Map location in the vicinity
Year opened c1847
Year closed unknown
Century of Operation 1800-1899
Building Type Lock-Up
'This building has not long been erected. It is tolerably well situated, being central, as regards the neighbouring villages. There are eight cells. There are all underground, but there being a drain 10 feet below the foundation, they are tolerably dry. The building belongs to the county. The cells are 11 feet long, 6 feet wide, and 9 feet high ... They open into passages. The cells are lighted by glazed iron windows, one pane in each of which the prisoner can open. Several of the cells, however, are nearly dark. The open panes, and some small grates over the doors, are the only means of ventilation, and these are insufficient. The only provision for warming is a large stove in the passage which, however, can have very little effect on many of the cells. There is a resident keeper ... The cells are provided with iron bedsteads, and loose straw for bedding ... There are no night vessels.'
Inspectors of Prisons of Great Britain IV. Northern District, Thirteenth Report (Parl. Papers, 1847-8, XXXVI.361), p.96
We don’t have any historical or contemporary pictures of this lock-up at present. If you could give us one, or maybe several, we would be delighted! Follow this link to submit an image of this lock-up. For more information on how to photograph lock ups for the purposes of historical research, please see our User Guide.