Location Corner of Faversham Road and Douglas Court, Lenham
Map location exact or closely approximate
Year opened Unknown
Year closed Unknown
Century of Operation 1800-1899
Building Type Lock-up or mortuary
Remarks Grade II listed and a Scheduled Ancient Monument. Originally the workhouse mortuary, then used as a lock-up in later 19th century and as a store. Became an air-raid shelter in World War Two.
'Mortuary, later used as Lock-up, now store. Early C18. Coursed stone with plain tile roof. At right-angles to road, with stone north side wall continued as rear ground-floor wall of north row of Douglas Almshouses. Single storey on moulded plinth, top of which is now at ground level. Projecting stone band circa 3'6" from ground. Wall canted out slightly between band and plinth. Tall recessed door to street, with semi-circular stone head springing from fluted impost bands. Outer arch of heavy, projecting, rusticated stone voussoirs with large keystones breaking into base of pediment. Triangular pediment with projecting stone coping surmounted by squat stone cross. Wooden double doors to left end of left side elevation. Associated with an early C18 workhouse on the site, since demolished. Scheduled Ancient Monument.'
Historic England, National Heritage List for England, 'The Lock-Up or Mortuary', Lenham, LEN1186182
'Built in the mid 18th century as the workhouse mortuary. Used as the parish gaol in the late 19th century and as an air raid shelter (suitably reinforced) in the mid 20th century.'
Plaque on building