Location Market Place Knutsford
Map location exact or closely approximate
Year opened unknown
Year closed unknown
Century of Operation 1800-1899
Building Type Lock-Up
'This lock up house is in the middle of the town. It belongs to the Lord of the manor, but appears to be under the jurisdiction of the county magistrates. There are two small cells, and they open into a covered area used as a market-house, They are ill lighted and very ill ventilated. One of them is damp, and without any provision for warming it. The place is very unfit for use, and is incapable of being rendered fit. A persons health might be seriously injured by confinement in it, and the ends of justice might be entirely defeated by communication with the outside.'
Inspectors of Prisons of Great Britain IV. Northern District, Thirteenth Report (Parl. Papers, 1847-8, XXXVI.361), p.97
'The old Lock-up and Market House are situate at the north-east corner of the market place.'
Samuel Bagshaw, History, Gazetteer and Directory of the County Palatine of Chester (Sheffield, 1850), p. 552
We don’t have any historical or contemporary pictures of this lock-up at present. If you could give us one, or maybe several, we would be delighted! Follow this link to submit an image of this lock-up. For more information on how to photograph lock ups for the purposes of historical research, please see our User Guide.