Location courthouse Knaresborough
Map location in the vicinity
Year opened c1841
Year closed unknown
Century of Operation 1800-1899
Building Type Courthouse
'This new lock-up is attached to the sessions-house, and is used for the reception of prisoners for trial at the periods when the sessions are holden, and also for the temporary custody of persons previous to examination. It contains four cells, three provided with inclined planes for sleeping-places, and a fourth in an unfinished state. One of the cells, which appeared to have been lately occupied, was in a direty and neglected condition.'
Inspectors of Prisons of Great Britain II. Northern and Eastern District, Seventh Report (Parl. Papers, 1842, XXI.1), p.40
We don’t have any historical or contemporary pictures of this lock-up at present. If you could give us one, or maybe several, we would be delighted! Follow this link to submit an image of this lock-up. For more information on how to photograph lock ups for the purposes of historical research, please see our User Guide.