Location Kilmersdon Hill (opposite Joliffe Arms) Kilmersdon
Map location exact or closely approximate
Year opened 1835
Year closed unknown
Century of Operation 1800-1899
Building Type Lock-Up
Remarks Previously situated beside churchyard wall (see: https://www.prisonhistory.org/lockup/kilmersdon-guardhouse/). In 1835, the lock-up was moved and rebuilt on this site. Restored in 1982. Now a bus shelter. Leslie Brooke, in his book on West Country lock-ups, wonders whether the new site, opposite the Joliffe Arms, which was rebuilt at the same time, was chosen for its convenience - 'for those who over-imbided at the inn'!
'Lock-up, now bus shelter. C17. Coursed and squared rubble, pyramidal stone-tiled roof with ball finial at apex. Square on plan. Door opening to roadside with segmental-pointed arch head, wrought-iron gate; (studded plank door missing at time of resurvey, May 1985).'
Historic England, National Heritage List for England, 'Blind House, Kilmersdon', LEN 1345102 (https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1345102)