Location opposite Old Milestone, South Town Kenton
Map location exact or closely approximate
Year opened unknown
Year closed unknown
Century of Operation 1800-1899
Building Type Lock-Up
'Former jail-house, subsequently said to have been used as fire station. Early C19, 1980s interior alteration and reglazing. Main block red sandstone ashlar with grey limestone dressings; end stacks, the left end stack with a stone shaft. The left end block is rendered and probably brick on stone rubble footings. Plan: 2 adjoining blocks, the left hand block slightly set back, the right hand block with a central entrance. Exterior: 2 storeys. Asymmetrical 1:3 bay front, the right hand block symmetrical with a central C20 timber front door with a rectangular fanlight. Ground floor window right, converted from a doorway, with a segmental arch with a rusticated keystone. 2 smaller similar first floor windows and 1 ground floor window left. The left hand block has one ground floor 2-light window and, in the left return, 1 first floor and 2 ground floor windows. All windows reglazed with small pane plastic casements. Interior: Not inspected. . A lock up house was requested in 1844. In 1849 G. Timewell was appointed Superintending Constable at a salary of £25 p.a. (D.R.O.). In spite of the reglazing this is of historic interest as an unusual building type.'
Historic England, National Heritage List for England, 'The Old Jail House, Kenton', LEN 1097679
We don’t have any historical or contemporary pictures of this lock-up at present. If you could give us one, or maybe several, we would be delighted! Follow this link to submit an image of this lock-up. For more information on how to photograph lock ups for the purposes of historical research, please see our User Guide.