Location Roadside, attached to a barn at Weldon House, Chester Road (opposite The Royal Oak Hotel), Kelsall
Map location exact or closely approximate
Year opened Unknown
Year closed c.1844
Century of Operation 1800-1899
Building Type Lock-Up
Remarks Grade II listed.
'3/39 Lock-up on the end of the barn at Weldon House [ formerly listed as Old goal cell (adjacent to Weldon Farm)]'. 'Lock-up: probably early-mid C19. Rock-faced buff sandstone, massive slabs forming flat roof. Stands cl.6m in height and is semi-circular in plan. Flat side against the road has low entrance with sheet iron door.'
Historic England, National Heritage List for England, 'Lock Up on the End of the Barn at Weldon House, Chester Road', Kelsall, LEN1130532
'The evidence of a rough, rowdy village is borne out by the building of a lock-up or Round House in the early 19th century...This stone cell was placed strategically opposite The Royal Oak at the junction of Dog Lane with the turnpike. (On a map of 1840, Kelsall Hill Township , is indicated lot 323 pinfold and Round House). It stood next to the pinfold where stray cattle, like erring men, were impounded. At the Spring Quarter Sessions 1842 the magistrates criticized the Kelsall lock-up as "unfit for use further than to detain a prisoner an hour or two". Two years later the special magistrates committee concerned with prisons, on which Col. Tomkinson from Willington served, recommended (after a ruling that the necessary straw, blankets and rugs should be available) the transference of all prisoners in Kelsall to Frodsham or Tarporley. '