Alternative Names Clink
Location In rear garden of The Old House, Fore Street, Ipplepen
Map location in the vicinity
Year opened Unknown
Year closed Unknown
Century of Operation 1800-1899
Building Type Lock-Up
Remarks Grade II listed but lock-up use not referenced in listing. Now used as shed in garden of private house which was once almshouses. Leslie Brooke cites evidence from the Devon Quarter Sessions that suggests the lock-up was in use in 1855, but date of establishment unknown.
'Old House, including - outbuilding at north west end - II House. C17 or earlier, considerably altered in C20 with C20 wing. Rendered rubble walls. Gable-ended asbestos slate roof. 2 rendered rubble stacks - one to left gable end and one large projecting lateral stack at front. Originally 3-room and through passage plan, lower room probably to the left. Hall heated by front lateralstack and right gable end stack probably heated lower room although the position of the original passage is unclear. C20 1-room wing added at rear of right-hand end. C19/C20 rear outshut behind left-hand end. 2 storeys. Asym- metrical 4-window front. Ground and first floor left-hand windows are late C20 3 and 2-light casements with 'leaded' panes. Otherwise 2 and 3-light irregularly spaced C20 casements with small panes except for ground floor left of centre which is C17 2-light wood mullion, chamfered on the inside, with leaded panes in poor condition and iron stanchion bars. The stack projects to its right. Interior: much altered but contains several chamfered cross beams with indistinct stops. Fire- place to lateral stack has had lintel replaced, gable-end fireplace has chamfered wood lintel with ogee stops. Roof space not inspected. Including the outbuilding at the north west end. Probably C17 or early C18. Local limestone rubble. Corrugated iron roof with gabled ends. Large limestone rubble lateral stack on the front and a projecting right hand gable end stack. Plan: Rectangular single depth plan, probably originally 2 rooms, the left hand (south east) room heated from a front lateral stack and the right hand room (north west) has a gable end stack. There is a 2 storey projection on the front wall of the right hand part of unknown purpose. The building is now one large room again to the roof. Exterior: originally 2 storeys. The north east front has a projecting lateral stack to the left and the front to the right breaks forward; in between there are 2 C20 plank doors and a blocked first floor window above. The rear wall is blind. Interior: all the internal partitions and floor have been removed and it is open to the late C19 soft-wood roof trusses. The front lateral stack has a cambered arched first floor fireplace and its ground floor fireplace has missing lintel or fallen arch. The right hand gable end fireplace also have cambered arches. It is said to have been a row of almhouses at one time, 2 of the almhouses in Old House and the other 2 in the outbuilding adjoining north west. Old House was possibly originally the church house and later extended and used as almhouses (the outbuilding to the north west being the extension).'
Historic England, National Heritage List for England, 'Old House, Including Outbuilding at North-West End, Fore Street', Ipplepen, LEN1097284
We don’t have any historical or contemporary pictures of this lock-up at present. If you could give us one, or maybe several, we would be delighted! Follow this link to submit an image of this lock-up. For more information on how to photograph lock ups for the purposes of historical research, please see our User Guide.