Location 121 Keighley Road Illingworth
Map location exact or closely approximate
Year opened 1823
Year closed unknown
Century of Operation 1800-1899
Building Type Lock Up
'This lock up house is a detached building, on high ground, about the centre of the village, and a quarter of a mile from the constables residence. It belongs to the township. There are two cells, each 12 feet long, 6 feet wide, and 11 feet high ... The cells open into a passage. They are dry, and at the time of my visit were clean. They are lighted and ventilated by grated openings looking into the street. In the wall of one of the cells, also, there is a square hole communicating with the passage. One of the cells is seldom used, and in it there is a stove, at which (the doors of the cells being generally left open) a prisoner can warm himself ... The cell in use is furnished with an iron bedstead, straw mattress, rugs and sheets.'
Inspectors of Prisons of Great Britain IV. Northern District, Thirteenth Report (Parl. Papers, 1847-8, XXXVI.361), p.102
'Dated 1823. Small 2-storeyed stone building with stone roof. Central, round- arched and rusticated doorway with lunette over and date tablet above inscribed 'Let him that stole steal no more but rather let him labour with his hands the thing which is good that he may have to give to him that needeth.' Small (later?) window each side. Flanking broad strip pilasters pierced by rusticated circular windows. Cornice and blocking below eaves. Modern ventilator to roof. Cottage adjoins east side. '
Historic England, National Heritage List for England, 'Former Lock-up, LEN 1314017' (https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1314017)
Description: Plaque on Illingworth Gaol. 'Let him that stole steal no more but / rather let him labour working with his / hands the thing that is good is that he / may have to give to him that needeth. / Erected A.D. 1823'.
Photo by: Photo © Humphrey Bolton (cc-by-sa/2.0)
Photo by: Photo © Alexander P Kapp (cc-by-sa/2.0)