Location 29 Bancroft Hitchin
Map location exact or closely approximate
Year opened 1885
Year closed 1973
Century of Operation 1800-1899, 1900-1999
Building Type Police Station, Courthouse
Remarks To replace the police station which had been established in the old county bridewell (https://www.prisonhistory.org/lockup/hitchin-police-station/). In 1973 the police station was relocated to College Road. Continued use of the cells by the magistrates' court until closure in 1997 needs to be confirmed. Now North Herts Education Support Centre.
'The Town Hall is a spacious edifice of brick in the Italian style...the petty sessions of the magistrates of the divisin were formerly held here, but have been removed to the new police station, Bancroft...Petty sessions are held every tuesday at the Police Station, Bancroft, at 11.15 a.m...Superintendent of County Police, John Reynolds, Bancroft.'
Kelly’s Directory of Hertfordshire. London: Kelly and Co, 1890, pp.775-777.
'OId Police Station built 1885; in use until the late 1960s; now Hertfordshire County Council facilities. Makes an important contribution to the architectural and visual quality of the area...Magistrates’ Court in building at rear of no. 29 Bancroft. The building has a c.1935 façade and interior; in court use until the 1990s. The building is constructed of red brick with impressive Portland stone door surround topped with Hertfordshire crest. '
North Hertfordshire District Council, 'Hitchin Register of Buildings of Local Interest 2011', pp.2-3.
We don’t have any historical or contemporary pictures of this lock-up at present. If you could give us one, or maybe several, we would be delighted! Follow this link to submit an image of this lock-up. For more information on how to photograph lock ups for the purposes of historical research, please see our User Guide.