Location 27 The Green (originally on the village green) Hinton St George
Map location exact or closely approximate
Year opened 1804
Year closed unknown
Century of Operation 1800-1899
Building Type Lock-Up
Remarks Private property. Leslie Brooke states that the open space by the side of the building was formerly the village pound.
'The lock-up probably dates to 1804, as inscribed on a lintel,and was originally on the village green. It is built from hamstone and brick and the roof has been replaced by corrugated iron sheeting. It has the original barred door with peephole which has been inserted into a new doorway on the side of the building. The original doorway on the end has been partially filled in and a window inserted. A circular stone ventilation opening above gave some light. The interior has a fine barrel-vaulted roof. There is also a stone insert inscribed 'J. Irish, 1954' which is the likely date of the conversion. In 1830 it was used to store the goods of a pauper and two years later held the pauper herself. In 1930 a private house was built on the green alongside the lock-up which is now within the grounds of that property at 27 The Green, TA17 8SQ. It is now used as a store.'
Roy's Blog, 'SOMERSET. Lock-ups at Hinton St George, Nether Stowey and Coleford.' (13 July 2013) (http://roys-roy.blogspot.com/2013/07/somerset-lock-ups-at-hinton-st-george.html)
We don’t have any historical or contemporary pictures of this lock-up at present. If you could give us one, or maybe several, we would be delighted! Follow this link to submit an image of this lock-up. For more information on how to photograph lock ups for the purposes of historical research, please see our User Guide.