Location 1 Queens Road, Hertford
Map location exact or closely approximate
Year opened c.1880
Year closed 1954
Century of Operation 1800-1899, 1900-1999
Building Type Police Station
Remarks Grade II listed. Hertford Borough Police were stationed at Mill Bridge from 1836 to 1881 (see separate listing). The borough force amalgamated with Hertfordshire Constabulary in 1889.
'Former police station, now offices. c1880, with C20 alterations. Yellow stock brick laid to Flemish bond, with orange brick dressings, and terracotta door hood. Welsh slated roof with lead roll hips, and yellow brick chimneys with red bands and oversailing courses.... INTERIOR: not inspected. HISTORICAL NOTE: built as the Hertford Police Station, this building reflects the Queen Anne revival style, particularly in the treatment of the central doorway. It also appears to have been intended to complement the early C18 facade of Bailey Hall (qv) on the adjoining site to the east. '
Historic England, National Heritage List for England, '1 Queens Road, Hertford', LEN1268781
'In 1881 Hertford Borough Police relocated to a new purpose-built police staion on Queens Road... it incorporated a guardroom and two cells...an exercise yard for prisoners was built at the rear and secured with a high perimeter wall.... The building was finally given up for larger premises in 1954.'
A. C. Wiseman., ‘The History of Police Stations in Hertfordshire’. Stroud: The History Press, 2017, pp.60-64.
'Site investigation noted several features of particular interest which relate to the building’s original function, most notably a secure cast iron gate and metal sheeted doors... Late 19th century police station with small early 20th century extension. Several late 19th century fixtures of interest survive including secure doors to the exercise yard, original locks and a cast iron lamp fitting... Room 6 occupies the site of two former cells. Their positions are given by the former high, narrow windows and a redundant pier which is all that remains of the dividing wall and thus indicates the size of the cells. The room is entered from the corridor through a wide arched aperture now reduced in size and fitted with a modern door. Across the room to the north is a second, original door which opens in to the porch in the yard as described above. From this side the door is seen to be lined with metal sheeting and the rim lock is visible... [This report contains several interior photographs and plans of the building, together with maps of the site]'
Archaeological Solutions Limited, 'The Old Police Station, 1 Queens Road, Hertford, Hertfordshire: Historic Buildings Record'. 2008
'[County Constabulary] F, or Hertford Division – Supt. James Parish, Hertford; inspector, William Wood, Welwyn; stations [include]...County Police Office, Queen's road, William Wood, superintendent, Welwyn; 2 sergeants & 6 constables. The County Police Station, Queen's road, was erected in 1881 at a cost of £2,000, and the County Court offices, Queen's road, were built in 1883 at a cost of about £2,000.'
Kelly’s Directory of Hertfordshire. London: Kelly and Co, 1890, p.690, pp.765-766.
'[County Constabulary] F, or Hertford Division – Supt. James Parish, Hertford; inspector, William Wood, Welwyn... The police in the borough form part of the county force...County Police Office, Queen's road, Jas. Parish, Queen's road, superintendent; William Wood, inspector, Welwyn; 2 sergeants & 6 constables... [Superintendent James Parish also served as inspector of common lodging houses].'
Kelly’s Directory of Hertfordshire. London: Kelly and Co, 1895, p.10, pp.97-99, p.106.
We don’t have any historical or contemporary pictures of this lock-up at present. If you could give us one, or maybe several, we would be delighted! Follow this link to submit an image of this lock-up. For more information on how to photograph lock ups for the purposes of historical research, please see our User Guide.