Location The Wash, (possibly opposite the Woolpack pub), Hertford
Map location in the vicinity
Year opened 1773
Year closed Unknown
Century of Operation 1700-1799
Building Type Pillory
Remarks Relocated from the Market Place in 1773. It is unknown whether this is the same location as the stocks described in the entry for Hertford Stocks - Castle Street. It is not known whether the set borrowed by St Albans in 1812 for James Deavin are this set.
'Besides the gaol, Hertford possessed a "cage", where people were detained for offences corresponding to those for which a night in the cells would not be prescribed. Nearby were the whipping post and the pillory. Andrews' and Wren's map of the Borough in 1766 shows all three situated to the immediate east of the Market Place, approximately on the site till recently occupied by the Bon Marche. About 1773, all were removed to the Wash.'
F. M. Page, History of Hertford. Hertford, 1993. p.112
'[Midsummer Sessions 1812] James Deaven convicted of "unnatural assault". Ordered to be imprisoned for twelve months, and that he stand in the pillory, on a market day, in the market place at St Albans from 11 till 12 in the forenoon. [Michaelmas Sessions 1812] Account of John Palmer "hundreder" of the liberty of St Albans of his expenses "for a pilory [sic] brought from Hertford" to execute the sentence passed upon James Deavin.'
Hertfordshire County Records. Notes and Extracts from the Sessions Records of the Liberty of St Albans Division. 1770-1840. Vol.IV. William Le Hardy ed. Hertford: Charles E. Longmore, 1923, pp.122-123.
We don’t have any historical or contemporary pictures of this lock-up at present. If you could give us one, or maybe several, we would be delighted! Follow this link to submit an image of this lock-up. For more information on how to photograph lock ups for the purposes of historical research, please see our User Guide.