Location east of the Market Place, Hertford
Map location exact or closely approximate
Year opened Unknown
Year closed 1773
Century of Operation 1700-1799
Building Type Pillory
Remarks Relocated to The Wash in 1773
'Besides the gaol, Hertford possessed a "cage", where people were detained for offences corresponding to those for which a night in the cells would not be prescribed. Nearby were the whipping post and the pillory. Andrews' and Wren's map of the Borough in 1766 shows all three situated to the immediate east of the Market Place, approximately on the site till recently occupied by the Bon Marche. About 1773, all were removed to the Wash.'
F. M. Page, History of Hertford. Hertford, 1993. p.112
We don’t have any historical or contemporary pictures of this lock-up at present. If you could give us one, or maybe several, we would be delighted! Follow this link to submit an image of this lock-up. For more information on how to photograph lock ups for the purposes of historical research, please see our User Guide.