Location opposite (former) Borough Surveyor's Office, towards Castle Street, Hertford
Map location in the vicinity
Year opened Unknown
Year closed After 1834
Century of Operation 1800-1899
Building Type Lock-Up
Remarks It is unknown whether this is the same cage described in the entry for Hertford Cage at The Wash
'In 1834, Hertford’s Cage (former lock-up) was situated opposite the Borough Surveyor’s office, towards Castle Street. The stocks were nearby. It was a wooden building, about 10 ft square. One side of it was in a line with [a stream which], ran towards the Wash. Access to the Cage was via a plank across the stream. The Cage was covered in slate and had a cell inside with double doors and was lined with iron....The Whipping Post used to stand against the Town Hall on the south side. Both this and the Cage were removed as cells were incorporated in the police station. '
Hertford's Cage, Stocks and Whipping Post. Transcript of Hertfordshire Mercury, 15 September 1900. Herts Past Policing
We don’t have any historical or contemporary pictures of this lock-up at present. If you could give us one, or maybe several, we would be delighted! Follow this link to submit an image of this lock-up. For more information on how to photograph lock ups for the purposes of historical research, please see our User Guide.