Location County Gaol, site of the Old Priory; outside Bye Street Gate, known locally as The Priory, entrance Bye Street Without (now Commercial Street) Hereford
Map location exact or closely approximate
Year opened unknown
Year closed unknown
Century of Operation 1800-1899
Building Type Prison
'The only lock up for the Hereford district of police, has been formed by taking off from the county gaol three cells formerly devoted to vagrants, and a small yard belonging to them. In this the Superintendent, John Dexter, and his family reside; and as there is only one room (used as a kitchen) for the use of the family, the sleeping-room of the children is made out of one of the cells. There remains, therefore, only two cells for the purposes of the lock up house. The cells measure 9 feet square and are 8 ft 3 in in height. They are well ventilated and warmed by Hadens method. Each contains an iron bedstead and sufficient bedding. They have no other furniture and are not provided with water-closets.'
Inspectors of Prisons of Great Britain III. Southern and Western District, Fourteenth Report (Parl. Papers, 1849, XXVI.93), p.23
We don’t have any historical or contemporary pictures of this lock-up at present. If you could give us one, or maybe several, we would be delighted! Follow this link to submit an image of this lock-up. For more information on how to photograph lock ups for the purposes of historical research, please see our User Guide.