Location South end of Cage End, Hatfield Broad Oak
Map location exact or closely approximate
Year opened unknown
Year closed 1834
Century of Operation 1700-1799, 1800-1899
Building Type Lock-Up, Stocks
'According to the Hatfield Broad Oak Millenium History, "wippin" stocks were known to have existed at "Cage End" or Musebrook (Musbrook) Street in 1788 as a bill for their painting is in existence-the charge was 2/-. The stocks were next to the village "cage" which was a wooden structure with a tiled roof. Prisoners were secured by means of "16 links and a large ring and staple". The Cage was demolished in 1773 due to delapidation and rebuilt (receipt dated 6 July gives the cost as £2 9 7 1/2. By 1834 it had fallen into disrepair again and there is a report of the last prisoner to be incarcerated destroyed the roof in protest at the conditions. With the destruction of the Cage a new Gaol was constructed in brick at the top of Feathers Hill (abutting Priory Farm). There was an open cage and a "Dungell" (dungeon) which was used to hold more dangerous prisoners whilst awaiting transfer to the County Gaol in Chelmsford. The cage was demolished in 1876 by which time the stocks had also disappeared. A grate that appears to be part of the prison was last seen in the early 20th century.'
Hatfield Broad Oak Millennium History
We don’t have any historical or contemporary pictures of this lock-up at present. If you could give us one, or maybe several, we would be delighted! Follow this link to submit an image of this lock-up. For more information on how to photograph lock ups for the purposes of historical research, please see our User Guide.