Location Eastern side of St Nicholas' churchyard, Church Green, Harpenden
Map location exact or closely approximate
Year opened Unknown
Year closed Unknown
Century of Operation 1700-1799
Building Type Lock-Up
'in 1819 the authorities in Harpenden proposed building a ‘cage’ to house a treadmill on which the poor could be employed: these were new inventions used in prisons. However, it seems that in suggesting that the poor might be so employed Harpenden were stepping outside the law. It was eventually agreed at a Vestry meeting at The Bull in 1826 “to erect a building 34 feet high, 12 feet wide in the clear” - but there is no sign from early drawings or photos of such a tall building. As far as we can tell, the 'lock-up' was at the southern end of the row of Church Houses for elderly widows, dated 1774, on the east side of the churchyard. '
Rosemary Ross, 'From the Stocks to the House of Correction', (Harpenden History website)
We don’t have any historical or contemporary pictures of this lock-up at present. If you could give us one, or maybe several, we would be delighted! Follow this link to submit an image of this lock-up. For more information on how to photograph lock ups for the purposes of historical research, please see our User Guide.