Location In garden wall at 11 Cannon Lane, Hampstead (London Borough of Camden)
Map location exact or closely approximate
Year opened c.1730
Year closed 1832
Century of Operation 1700-1799, 1800-1899
Building Type Lock-Up
Remarks Grade II listed. Purpose built to serve adjacent magistrates' court. Superceded by the police watch house in Holly Walk, Hampstead (see separate listing)
'Parish lock-up, now forming the entrance passage to a later house. c1730, built into garden wall of No.14, Cannon Place (qv). Brown brick wall with plinth base and circular tie plates. Single storey 2 windows. Segmental arched doorway with brick dentil cornice and original ledged and braced door with wrought-iron hinges. Doorway flanked on either side by small, heavily barred, lunettes. INTERIOR: vaulted brick single cell. HISTORICAL NOTE: prisoners were held here prior to appearing before magistrates at No.14 Cannon Place. The lock-up was in use until 1832 and is one of the few left in London. '
Historic England, National Heritage List for England, 'Old Parish Lock Up', Hampstead, LEN1272513
'About 1730, this lock-up was built into the garden wall of Cannon Hall, where local magistrates held court. Prisoners were kept in this dark single cell until more lasting arrangements could be made for them. Soon after the formation of the police force in 1829, business was transferred to the Watch House in Holly Walk. This lock-up is one of the very few left in London and is a D.O.E Listed Building of Historic Interest'
Chris Gunns, photograph of plaque, 'Parish lock up'