Location police station Halliwell
Map location in the vicinity
Year opened unknown
Year closed unknown
Century of Operation 1800-1899
Building Type Police Station
'This lock up house, containing two cells, and forming part of the police station, in which a constable resides, is situated about the centre of the town. It is about 6 feet below the street in front, but on a level with the ground at the back. One of the walls is built against the earth, which renders the cells damp. The building belongs to the county. The cells are 9 feet long, 5 1/2 feet wide, 7 feet high, and contain about 350 cubic feet each. The cells open into a sort of scullery, under the keepers kitchen. Thet are quite dark, and the only provision for ventilating is two small openings, one in the wall, and another in the door. They are warmed by means of a steam apparatus, which appears to work quite well. The keeper stated that in ten minutes after he had lighted the fire, the cells were quite warm. The cells are secure. They have guard beds, but no bedding.'
Inspectors of Prisons of Great Britain IV. Northern District, Thirteenth Report (Parl. Papers, 1847-8, XXXVI.361), p.78
We don’t have any historical or contemporary pictures of this lock-up at present. If you could give us one, or maybe several, we would be delighted! Follow this link to submit an image of this lock-up. For more information on how to photograph lock ups for the purposes of historical research, please see our User Guide.