Alternative Names Cage
Location Bridge Street (B1057), adjacent to Cottage Museum, Great Bardfield
Map location exact or closely approximate
Year opened c.1816
Year closed c.1925
Century of Operation 1800-1899, 1900-1999
Building Type Lock-Up
Remarks Grade II listed. Free entry to public on selected days.
'Lock-up. Early C19. Red brick in Flemish bond, with some blue headers, and flint rubble. Gables weatherboarded. Roofed with handmade red clay tiles. Rectangular plan. 2 cells. E elevation, one window with external wooden shutter, heavy oak door with iron studs picking out the date 1816, a small barred window, and long hasped hinges. Inside this is a second door pierced with 10 holes, not coinciding with the window of the outer door, and bolts. On the S side there is a simple wooden door to the other cell. Roof rebuilt. Built 1816 in the context of the Six Acts, reported to have been last used in 1925.'
Historic England, National Heritage List for England, 'The Great Bardfield Cage', LEN1123505