Alternative Names Gillingham Blindhouse
Location 5 South Street (behind the Pheonix Hotel, next to the Town Band practice room) Gillingham
Map location exact or closely approximate
Year opened 1750
Year closed 1880
Century of Operation 1700-1799, 1800-1899
Building Type Lock-Up
Remarks Dates of use specified on black plaque. It was originally built without windows, one added at a later date. When the Town Police Station/Courtroom was built it was no longer needed, it has had various occupants since, being used for storage and as a shop. It still has the original door, there was some work done to the stone door surround, but this was not done very well. The building is built of local stone. The blue plaque was supplied by the Local History Society who used the building as a storeroom for sometime. South Street, on which it stands, was formerly known as Back Lane, or 'The Backs'.
'Lock-up, early C19. Coursed, squared rubble with gable-ended, tiled roof. Single storey. No windows. Central bay projects slightly. Unmoulded, central doorway with 4-centred head and simple pitched label. Studded plank door. (RCHM, Dorset, vol IV, p 30, no 9).'
Historic England, National Heritage List for England, 'Lock up, Gillingham', LEN 1324574