Location Higher Road (now Kirkham Road, present-day no. 67), at the back of the county police station, Freckleton
Map location exact or closely approximate
Year opened unknown
Year closed unknown
Century of Operation 1700-1799, 1800-1899
Building Type Lock-Up, Police Station
Remarks In 1847, the Prison Inspector for the Northern District found a single cell lock-up which formed part of an outhouse at the back of the police station, which was private property rented by the county. He also stated that the lock-up was located on the outskirts of the village. The 1841 Census reveals the first resident village policeman was living on Higher Road (now Kirkham Road), which was at this time on the outskirts of the village. It is likely then, that the lock-up was also on Kirkham Road. It is not known when the lock-up was constructed or first used. It may have some relationship to the establishment of an Association for the Prosecution of Felons in Freckleton in 1754 (see Peter Shakeshaft's book for more information on the Association). It may well have pre-dated the establishment of the 'police station' as a significant number of police stations were established next to existing lock-ups (as this database demonstrates). It seems likely that this was an entirely separate lock-up from the 'Cage' in Preston Road (https://www.prisonhistory.org/lockup/freckleton-cage/), which does not match the description provided by the Prison Inspector. Whether their use overlapped, or whether the cage replaced this lock-up house is unclear. But it is worth pointing out that this lock-up was considered unfit and hence in need of replacement, and that this usually very thorough inspector did not record the existence of another lock-up in Freckleton.
'This lock-up house is quite unfit for use. It consists of a single cell, forming part of an outhouse, at the back of the police station, which is private property rented by the county, and is at the outskirts of the village. The outhouse containing the cell is accessible from other houses than the police station. The cell is 9 feet long, 5 1/2 fee broad, and 8 1/2 feet in average height, and contains, therefore, about 420 cubic feet. The door of the cell opens into another part of the outhouse. The cell is damp, ill ventilated, almost dark, and very insecure, and there is no provision for warming it ... There is a guard-bed, but no bedding. There is no night-vessel.'
Inspectors of Prisons of Great Britain IV. Northern District, Thirteenth Report (Parl. Papers, 1847-8, XXXVI.361), p.75
We don’t have any historical or contemporary pictures of this lock-up at present. If you could give us one, or maybe several, we would be delighted! Follow this link to submit an image of this lock-up. For more information on how to photograph lock ups for the purposes of historical research, please see our User Guide.