Location unknown Fleetwood
Map location in the vicinity
Year opened c1839
Year closed unknown
Century of Operation 1800-1899
Building Type Police Station
'This lock-up house was built about 8 years ago, but it is private property belonging to Sir Hesketh Fleetwood. It stands in the middle of the town, and the site is tolerably good, except that it is considered to be inconveniently distant from the docks. The lock-up, which consists of a single cell, forms part of the police station, at which there is a resident officer. The cell is 3 feet long, only 3 1/2 feet broad, 8 feet high, and contains, therefore, not more than about 220 cubic feet. The floor is of stone, but the walls are lined with wood. The cell is dry at all seasons. It is lighted and ventilated by a small unglazed grated opening looking into the yard of the police station ... There is no provision for warming the cell: but the keeper said, that, in cold weather, "people getting in years and not able to stand it" are brought to the fire in his kitchen.'
Inspectors of Prisons of Great Britain IV. Northern District, Thirteenth Report (Parl. Papers, 1847-8, XXXVI.361), p.73
We don’t have any historical or contemporary pictures of this lock-up at present. If you could give us one, or maybe several, we would be delighted! Follow this link to submit an image of this lock-up. For more information on how to photograph lock ups for the purposes of historical research, please see our User Guide.