Location Behind St Luke's Church in Marsh Hall Pad (alternatively, 50 Marsh Hall Road), Farnworth
Map location exact or closely approximate
Year opened 1580
Year closed 1866
Century of Operation 1500-1599, 1600-1699, 1700-1799, 1800-1899
Building Type Lock-Up
Remarks Grade II listed. 'Bridewell 1827' etched into stone at top left of door.
'Former Bridewell now used for storage, 1827 - over door, Red sandstone with slate roof. Plain rectangular lock up in south east corner of the Churchyard. '
Warrington Guardian, 'Bridewell Revisited'
'Restoration was carried out in 1580 when a hand-made brick cell was built, with a barrel vaulted ceiling. A second cell was constructed in 1827. Criminals and drunks were locked up overnight in the Bridewell until 1866 when the first Widnes courthouse and police station were built. After this, it was used by a funeral director to store his hearse - a horse and cart.'
Historic England, National Heritage List for England, 'Bridewell adjacent to St Luke's Church, Pit Lane', Farnworth, Widnes, LEN1330353