Alternative Names Prince Rupert's Tower
Location Brow Side Gardens, Everton Brow Everton, Liverpool
Map location exact or closely approximate
Year opened 1787
Year closed unknown
Century of Operation 1700-1799, 1800-1899
Building Type Lock-Up
Remarks Prince Rupert's Tower was originally purposed as a lock-up and is considered a grade II-listed building. The lock-up lost its original purpose in the 19th century as modern policing was introduced across the country. The structure was notably first used on the Everton F.C's player kit in 1978. It has been incorporated in the club's crest ever since. The building was repaired in 1997 through a £15000 donation from Everton F.C. It is currently owned by Liverpool County Council.
'1787. Red sandstone building in form of a round drum with conical roof. Now in public garden.'
Historic England, National Heritage List for England, 'Former Lock Up, Liverpool', LEN 1062539
Description: Grade II listed former overnight lockup for drunks. Behind are Shaw Street and beyond, Liverpool Waterfront buildings.
Photo by: Wikimedia Commons User:Rodhullandemu