Alternative Names The Cistern
Location East Street, at junction with South Street, Denbury
Map location exact or closely approximate
Year opened Unknown
Year closed Unknown
Building Type Lock-Up
Remarks Grade II listed. Anecdotal evidence only of use as lock-up before its 1771 conversion to a water conduit. Later use as a war memorial.
'Water Conduit Head, redundant and in use as War Memorial. C18, or possibly earlier. Square stone rubble building ribbon pointed, with projecting plinth and pyramidical stone roof, the latter surmounted by a stone finial (perhaps a later addition) inscribed 1771. On east side a small rectangular aperture with C19 plank door having strap-hinges. At foot of west side a projection now cemented over probably the original trough. Above this, memorial tablets to the dead of 1914-18 and 1939-49 wars. Situated at cross roads in centre of village.'
Historic England, National Heritage List for England, 'Water Conduit Head 29 Metres West of Church Tower', LEN1249652
'Denbury Cistern is a cuboid about 2½m with a four sided pyramidal roof.' 'A single door in the East face is based half way up the wall'. 'On the north face, alterations indicated that this side was changed to accommodate the outlet to a public water supply.' 'David Viner who has been studying lock-ups...[is of the] opinion that the evidence for a lock up is not conclusive.' 'Heather Curtis and David Newby...believe that the cistern has been used as a lock-up and that the building is 500-700 years old. The Denbury cistern is typical in size of all such lock-ups, and may be a replacement for a previous building.'
Denbury.net, Lesley Groves, ‘Denbury Cistern’