Alternative Names Dartford Police Station, West Hill Police Station
Location West Hill Dartford
Map location exact or closely approximate
Year opened 1843
Year closed 1872
Century of Operation 1800-1899
Building Type Police Station
Remarks Dartford's first police station. 4 cells. Closed in 1872 when a new police station was opened in Highfield Road. Grade II listed.
'Former Police Station, 1843. Stock brick walls. One storey. Cornice and blocking course continuing round central projecting bay with pediment over, the central projection with four-panel door above two steps, and a blocked flanking window opening with rubbed brick arches to each side. Set back blank walling to each side again. Early plan shown on O.S 1868 map and comprised central reception area with two cells to each side, the east cells later altered by the insertion of a large drying closet for the workhouse and the west cells since converted into one room, but retaining a door. The building ceased to function as a Police Station after 1872 and was then used as a workhouse ward for tramps. See Dartford Historical and Antiquarian Society Newsletter, no 22, 1985.'
Historic England, National Heritage List for England, 'Former West Hill Police Station, Dartford', LEN: 1251333
Description: Exterior, c.2010. The lock-up in a dilapidated state and in need of care and attention.
Photo by: Photo © Brian Chadwick (cc-by-sa/2.0)