Location unknown Crosby
Map location in the vicinity
Year opened c1847
Year closed unknown
Century of Operation 1800-1899
Building Type Lock Up, Dwelling House
'This building, containing two cells, and apartments for two men, has been but lately erected, and was first occupied by the police on the 1st of November 1847. Its situation is central and unobjectionable. It belongs to the county. The cells are each 10 feet long, 7 feet wide, and 9 feet high ... They open, one into the apartments occupied by the sergeant in charge of the lock up house, and the other into the apartments of the private constable. There are two distinct sets of rooms but with a yard in common. The cell walls are rather damp at present, but appear to be gradually becoming dry. The cells are warmed by a hot-air apparatus, which does not work very well, the smoke getting into the cells. Each cell is lighted by a glazed window, which at present the prisoners are able to open, but which the keeper said he was going to have a lock put into it. The windows are covered with a thin wire grating, and are guarded by bars. The cells are ventilated by perforated plates in the walls, which the prisoner can open or close at his pleasure. The cells are provided with guard beds, but no bedding ... No night vessels are provided.'
Inspectors of Prisons of Great Britain IV. Northern District, Thirteenth Report (Parl. Papers, 1847-8, XXXVI.361), p.85
We don’t have any historical or contemporary pictures of this lock-up at present. If you could give us one, or maybe several, we would be delighted! Follow this link to submit an image of this lock-up. For more information on how to photograph lock ups for the purposes of historical research, please see our User Guide.