Alternative Names Village Prison
Location Beside the Old Parish Rooms on island site at junction of The Common and Surgery Lane, Crich
Map location exact or closely approximate
Year opened Unknown
Year closed Unknown
Century of Operation 1800-1899
Building Type Lock-Up
Remarks Now a private residence.
'The constable was in charge of the village lock-up...(The Rating Survey of Crich of 1839 records that the Parish was then required to pay rates on the Village Prison - which was a small building of stone, at the northern end of the block in which the Parish room is to be found)'
Geoffrey Dawes, 'History of the Parish of Crich', Chapter 3
'[The village prison] was a small dark sparse room under the "old" Parish Rooms, which was eventually used as a toilet before improvement of the buildings occurred.'
Crich Parish website, ‘Crime and punishment in Crich’
We don’t have any historical or contemporary pictures of this lock-up at present. If you could give us one, or maybe several, we would be delighted! Follow this link to submit an image of this lock-up. For more information on how to photograph lock ups for the purposes of historical research, please see our User Guide.