Location town hall (The Square) Clun
Map location exact or closely approximate
Year opened 1780
Year closed unknown
Century of Operation 1700-1799, 1800-1899
Building Type Town Hall
'There is a Lock-up House under the Town Hall, the property of the lord of the manor.'
Royal Commission of Inquiry into Municipal Corporations of England and Wales, First Report, Appendices: Part 4 (Parl. Papers, 1835, XXV.1), p.2643
'Edward Clive, Lord of the Manor, and responsible for Clun's town hall 'planned to have a small market hall and 'lock-up' at ground level and a room above to serve as a court-house. ... The ground floor was used on Market Days until market traders ceased to come to Clun in the late 1920's. In 1932 the space was converted into Clun Museum. A stout chain, securely attached in one corner there, is always pointed out as proof that the area was once used as a jail.''
Jean Withers, 'Clun town hall - Edward Clive's legacy', Clun Courier Issue Number 121: August 2000, published on Discovering Shropshire's History website (http://www.shropshirehistory.org.uk/html/search/verb/GetRecord/theme:20070317142054)
Archive name: Shropshire Archives
Catalogue ref: 2924/29-30
Collection: Police Papers Relating to Lock-ups
Description: Papers relating to Clun Lock-up