Alternative Names Cirencester Lock-up
Location Trinity Road (in the grounds of the Cotswald District Council Offices) Cirencester
Map location exact or closely approximate
Year opened 1837
Year closed unknown
Century of Operation 1800-1899
Building Type Lock Up
Remarks Originally built 1804, but moved to present site (and re-erected) in 1837. Stood by the workhouse. Abandoned when the workhouse was closed.
'This 18th century building stood in Gloucester Street until moved here by 1837 to form part of Cirencester Workhouse. Now restored, it displays the history of both buildings''
'Lock-up. C18. Limestone ashlar; limestone ashlar centreless vaulted roof. Rectangular plan. Two C20 plank doors in plain reveals to N facing long side; small window with wrought-iron grille with chamfered reveal to each short side. Shallow plinth. INTERIOR not inspected; said to be divided into 2 cells with later doors. Lock-up originally sited in Gloucester Street, moved to present site on erection of workhouse, now Cotswold District Council offices, in 1837.'
Historic England, National Heritage List for England, 'Lock-up in the grounds of Cotswold District Council Offices, LEN 1187695' (https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1187695)
We don’t have any historical or contemporary pictures of this lock-up at present. If you could give us one, or maybe several, we would be delighted! Follow this link to submit an image of this lock-up. For more information on how to photograph lock ups for the purposes of historical research, please see our User Guide.
Archive name: Gloucestershire Archives
Catalogue ref: P86/1 CH 12/2
Collection: Cirencester Anglican parish, Charities, Monox's Charity
Description: Leases, Dyer Street. Site of old Gaol or Bridewell (Bear Inn on west) (1698-1840)