Location St Cuthbert's Road, adjacent to church wall, Churchtown
Map location exact or closely approximate
Year opened 1741
Year closed 1860
Century of Operation 1700-1799, 1800-1899
Building Type Stocks
Remarks Grade II listed.
'These stocks stand beside the wall of the Church of St Cuthbert. They are dated 1741 on an attached 20th century plaque. They have been moved and altered. They have a pair of square stone posts with rounded tops. On the inner side of each one there is a slot for a wooden rail (missing) and between the feet of the posts 2 low slabs have been hollowed out for 2 pairs of legs. Stocks were used to punish people who were guilty of petty (less serious) crimes. They had to sit on a bench with their arms and legs in the holes for a set amount of time. Often other villagers made fun of them or threw things like rotten fruit at them.'
Historic England, 'Churchtown Stocks, Southport, Merseyside'
'Remains of stocks. Dated 1741 on attached C20 plaque; relocated and altered. Sandstone. Erected close to the boulder-built portion of the west churchyard wall. One pair of square stone posts with rounded tops, on the inner side of each a slot for a wooden rail (missing) and between the feet of the posts 2 low slabs hollowed for 2 pairs of legs. C20 plaque attached to top of left post. Forms group with churchyard wall (qv), Church of St Cuthbert (qv), No.9 (Church Cottage, qv) and Churchtown Conservative Club opposite (qv). '
Historic England, National Heritage List for England, 'Stocks Beside Churchyard Wall of Church of St Cuthbert', Churchtown, LEN1379767
'Built in 1741 by John Linaker. The last person to be put in them was Thomas Rimmer - 3rd June 1861 sentenced to 6 hours for drunkeness'
Plaque on stocks
Description: Stocks, between church wall and footpath, protected by fence
Photo by: ©JonnyEnglish (flickr)