Alternative Names Roundhouse
Location East of entrance to Botanic Gardens, Botanic Road (B5244), Churchtown
Map location exact or closely approximate
Year opened Unknown
Year closed 1874
Century of Operation 1800-1899
Building Type Lock-Up
Remarks Lock-up demolished in 1874. A copy was built nearby in 1876 and this is Grade II listed.
'The Round House and Pound were originally situated at what is now the main entrance to the Botanic Gardens. The Round House or ‘lock up’ was demolished in 1874 but a copy was incorporated into the entrance and was used as a tram and bus shelter. The Pound was moved to Peet’s Lane near to Churchgate.'
North Meols Civic Society 'Churchtown Village Trail'
'Lock-up, now store. Probably 1876; altered. Red brick in Flemish bond, with blue brick band and sandstone dressings, polygonal slate roof with green fishscale band and branched finials. EXTERIOR: small building on east-west axis, with canted ends. Single storey; canted west front with false windows in 2 sides and a doorway in the third, the windows with painted glazing bars and the door panelled, all with shouldered stone heads; blue brick band carried round, bracketed eaves. INTERIOR: not inspected. Forms group with No.1 Lodge (qv), No.2 Lodge (qv) and associated Gate posts and gates (qv) at entrance to Botanic Gardens. '
Historic England, National Heritage List for England, 'Former Lock Up to East of Lodge Number 2', Churchtown, LEN1379548