Location unknown Chipping
Map location in the vicinity
Year opened unknown
Year closed unknown
Century of Operation 1800-1899
Building Type Lock-Up
'This lock-up house is an out-house a few yards from the house occupied by the constable who has charge of it. It is situated in a row of old sheep-pens, and appears to have been formerly put to a similar use. It is on the outskirts of the village, and is rented by the county. There is but one cell, which is 9 feet long, 6 feet wide, 6 1/2 feet high, and contains about 350 cubic feet. It has an earthen floor and is very damp. It is very cold, is badly lighted and ventilated, and is insecure. There is a guard-bed, but no bedding.'
Inspectors of Prisons of Great Britain IV. Northern District, Thirteenth Report (Parl. Papers, 1847-8, XXXVI.361), p.73
We don’t have any historical or contemporary pictures of this lock-up at present. If you could give us one, or maybe several, we would be delighted! Follow this link to submit an image of this lock-up. For more information on how to photograph lock ups for the purposes of historical research, please see our User Guide.