Location Unknown, Chipping Barnet
Map location in the vicinity
Year opened Unknown
Year closed Before 1753
Century of Operation 1700-1799
Building Type Stocks
'The Grand Inquest [of the manorial court leet] present that there is a want of stocks within the manor and that the pound is out of repair'
24 April 1753, Chipping Barnett and East Barnett Manor, Minute Book, Vol. 4 (1745-1758)
'Jutting eastwards from the Church into High Street…used to be a sort series of buildings called Middle Row….In olden days the last house from the Church in this Middle Row was the Market House, whose room on the ground floor was the Cage or village lock-up. Near it probably once stood Barnet stocks'
J. Alford Davies, Barnet and its Personalities or its Associations with Literature and Life. Barnet: E. Cowing & Sons, 1913. p.10
We don’t have any historical or contemporary pictures of this lock-up at present. If you could give us one, or maybe several, we would be delighted! Follow this link to submit an image of this lock-up. For more information on how to photograph lock ups for the purposes of historical research, please see our User Guide.
Archive name: London Metropolitan Archive, London EC1R 0HB
Catalogue ref: MS767
Description: Chipping Barnett and East Barnett Manor, Minute Book, Vol. 4 (1745-1758)