Location Flamstead End, Cheshunt
Map location in the vicinity
Year opened 1826
Year closed 1837
Century of Operation 1800-1899
Building Type Lock-Up, Workhouse
'In 1753 the vestry set up a new workhouse on the west side of Waltham Cross High Street. As this was so far from the parish centre another was built in 1826 at Flamstead End. With the change to the Poor Law in 1834 Cheshunt joined the Edmonton Union, and the Flamstead End house became a terrace of small houses known as Poor House Cottages (demolished c1970).'
Isobel Thompson & Terry Hunns, Extensive Urban Survey Project Assessment Report, 'Cheshunt', (English Heritage/ York: Archaeology Data Service, 2003)
'138- All the roofing with slates, battens, rafters and plate over cage and passage. 139 - Deal door and frame and 2 iron bar windows with 1 Portland stone sill. 140 - The brick-work of the 2 ends and front of cage with foundations and brick pavement.'
Sales Particulars for Building Materials, Fixtures & Fittings of Cheshunt Poor-House, Flamstead End, October 1837. 'Cage', p.13.
We don’t have any historical or contemporary pictures of this lock-up at present. If you could give us one, or maybe several, we would be delighted! Follow this link to submit an image of this lock-up. For more information on how to photograph lock ups for the purposes of historical research, please see our User Guide.
Archive name: Hertfordshire Archives and Local Studies, Hertford
Catalogue ref: D/E Cr1/21
Description: Sales Particulars for Building Materials, Fixtures & Fittings of Cheshunt Poor-House, Flamstead End, October 1837