Location Bailey Hill Castle Cary
Map location exact or closely approximate
Year opened 1779
Year closed unknown
Century of Operation 1700-1799, 1800-1899
Building Type Lock-Up
Remarks Restored in 1894 and 1983. Leslie Brooke cites material from the Castle Cary Overseers' Account Book.
'CASTLE CARY CP BAILEY HILL ST6432 6/42 The Round House 24.3.61 GV II Lock-up. Erected 1779, by Mr. W. M. Clark. Lias stone cut and squared with Doulting stone domed roof. Circular in plan, about 2.25 metres diameter,on slight plinth; two stepped sloping courses below a bee-hive dome surmounted by ball finial: boarded door, up 4 stone steps, in plain surround on south side, with vents over door and to rear in first roof base course. Interior not examined. Built as a 'temporary lock-up' at a cost of £23, and restored in 1894 and 1983, presented to the parish council in 1922 (plaque on building).'
Historic England, National Heritage List for England, 'The Roundhouse, Castle Cary', LEN 1056279
'Leslie Brooke cites the following resolution from the Castle Cary Sunday School Committee in 1785: 'That after the schools are commenced, if any children above the age of seven years are found in the streets, etc., breaking the sabbath, they shall be taken up and locked in the Round House during school hours'.'
Leslie Brooke, Some West-Country Lock-Ups (Castle Cary, Fox Publications, 1985), pp. 9