Location police station, West Walls Carlisle
Map location exact or closely approximate
Year opened 1840
Year closed unknown
Century of Operation 1800-1899
Building Type Police Station
'the former inconvenient lock-ups are no longer used for the detention of prisoners, and that the municipal authorities have, at considerable expense, erected a commodious and substantial building on the west wall, containing police office, magistrates room, residence for the superintendent, and cells for prisoners. The cells are eight in number, two of which are unfinished; to which two small airing yards with privies are attached. The roofs are arched; the floors paved, and they are warmed by hot water; the cells and yards were not quite so clean as they might have been in the day when inspected.'
Inspectors of Prisons of Great Britain II. Northern and Eastern District, Seventh Report (Parl. Papers, 1842, XXI.1), p.8
'A very commodious police station was erected in 1840, on the West Walls, out of corporation funds ... A lock up, for temporary confinement, is attached to the police office, whence offenders are removed to the county gaol, if committed on their examination by the magistrates'
Mannix and Whellan, History, Gazetteer and Directory of Cumberland (Beverley, 1847), pp.119-120, 124
We don’t have any historical or contemporary pictures of this lock-up at present. If you could give us one, or maybe several, we would be delighted! Follow this link to submit an image of this lock-up. For more information on how to photograph lock ups for the purposes of historical research, please see our User Guide.