Location Behind The Swan, 44 St James Street, Burnley
Map location exact or closely approximate
Year opened 1819
Year closed Unknown
Century of Operation 1800-1899
Building Type Lock-Up
Remarks The Swan (formerly the Swan Inn) is Grade II listed. This lock-up supersedes an earlier one in Fleet Street (see separate listing).
'Farmhouse, adapted at an early date as a public house with a shop attached. Later C18 in 2 builds; altered. Coursed squared sandstone, composition tile roof resembling stone slate. Irregular double-depth plan with rear wings. 2 storeys, 1+2 windows, with a vertical joint between these parts. The main range is symmetrical, with a small central doorway which has chamfered jambs and a plain lintel, and two 2-light flush-mullioned windows on each floor, the mullions at ground floor chamfered and those above square; and a large ogival-headed painted signboard in the centre of the upper floor. The early addition to the left is one narrow bay with a doorway and side-window at ground floor and coupled windows above. All these windows are sashed without glazing bars. Gable chimneys to both portions. Rear: each portion has a rear wing, and the main range is now enclosed by C20 glazing. INTERIOR: partitioned into various small rooms; stone flagged floors; said to have prison cells at rear. HISTORY: was the meeting place of the Burnley Town Committee, formed in 1819, the 1st secular body for local government of the town in the C19.'
Historic England, National Heritage List for England, 'Swan Inn, Burnley', LEN1244974
'The Swan Inn. Originally a farmhouse, this building was converted into an inn towards the end of the 18th Century. Here a Town Committee, a forerunner of the Council met during the years 1816-c.1844. Behind the inn can be seen part of the lock-up or jail, opened by the Town Committee in 1819'
Plaque on building