Location police station Burnley
Map location in the vicinity
Year opened unknown
Year closed unknown
Century of Operation 1800-1899
Building Type Police Station
'The police station, of which this lock-up house forms part, was formerly a Methodist Chapel and has been but lately converted to its present use ... The building is about the centre of town ... There are three cells ... The cells are dry and secure, and are warmed by a hot-water apparatus, which appears to work well. Each cell is lighted and ventilated by an iron grate over the door, but neither the lighting nor the ventilation is sufficient. The cells have guard beds, but not bedding.'
Inspectors of Prisons of Great Britain IV. Northern District, Thirteenth Report (Parl. Papers, 1847-8, XXXVI.361), p.70
We don’t have any historical or contemporary pictures of this lock-up at present. If you could give us one, or maybe several, we would be delighted! Follow this link to submit an image of this lock-up. For more information on how to photograph lock ups for the purposes of historical research, please see our User Guide.