Location unknown Brighouse
Map location in the vicinity
Year opened unknown
Year closed unknown
Century of Operation 1800-1899
Building Type Lock-Up
'This lock up house, containing two cells, is a detached building at some little distance from the town, close by the side of a hill, the wall at the back resting against the earth, which causes the cells to be damp. It was erected by subscription and belongs to the town. The cells are each 10 1/2 feet long, 6 1/2 feet wide, and 11 1/2 feet high ... There is a passage between the cells, and the cell doors open into it. The cells are nearly dark and the ventilation is quite insufficient; the only provision for either light or ventilation, being a small grated opening in a wall of each cell. This opening communicates with the street, so that persons on the outside can converse with the prisoners ... There is no provision for warming, and the cells are cold. There is no resident keeper ... There are guard beds and loose straw for bedding.'
Inspectors of Prisons of Great Britain IV. Northern District, Thirteenth Report (Parl. Papers, 1847-8, XXXVI.361), p.101
We don’t have any historical or contemporary pictures of this lock-up at present. If you could give us one, or maybe several, we would be delighted! Follow this link to submit an image of this lock-up. For more information on how to photograph lock ups for the purposes of historical research, please see our User Guide.