Alternative Names Blind House
Location 19 Main Street, opposite the Three Horseshoes, Breedon on the Hill
Map location exact or closely approximate
Year opened c.1793
Year closed 1885
Century of Operation 1700-1799, 1800-1899
Building Type Lock-up and animal pound
Remarks Grade II listed. Listing also references adjacent animal pound.
'Lock-up with small attached pound. Probably C18. Rubble stone. Lock-up is circular, with conical stone roof and wrought iron weathervane with later cock finial. Old board and stud door with pierced metal grille and long strap hinges. No windows. Pound, to left, is irregularly shaped and has walls about 2 m high, with dressed stone coping. Incorporated in wall to street is a frag- ment of moulded C12 masonry with dogtooth ornament. C20 wooden gate.'
Historic England, National Heritage List for England, 'Lock Up and Pound', Breedon on the Hill, LEN1074127
'...built in or about 1793, for the detention of human offenders...until they could be removed to the town prison. They were often known as "Blind Houses", being quite dark inside except for the little light let in by an iron grating in the door. The Lock Up formed the counterpart of the adjoining Pinfold or Pound which was used for the incarceration of straying animals...The Round House was last used for prisoners in 1885'
Sign beside lock-up