Location South-east corner of St Thomas's Churchyard, East End Rd, Bradwell-on-Sea
Map location exact or closely approximate
Year opened Unknown
Year closed Unknown
Century of Operation 1800-1899
Building Type Stocks
Remarks Stocks and whipping post attached to Grade II listed lock-up. Stocks/ pillory added in 1823.
'Lock-up. C18. Red brick. Pointed hipped red tiled roof with red ridge tiles. Dentilled eaves cornice. The heavy 3 board door with iron louvre of 12 vertical slits. Attached vertically to left door jamb are stocks/whipping post with 4 semi-circular wooden grooves and 3 matching and locking iron grooves, lock at base, to right of door are 5 grooves with no locking device. RCHM 7.'
Historic England, National Heritage List for England, 'Village Lock Up with Stocks and Whipping Post Attached to Doorframe South East Corner of Churchyard of St Thomas', Bradwell-on-Sea, LEN1337396
'pillory added to in 1823 by attachment of stocks to the outside' of the lock-up built in 1817. One ring 'is very low making it suitable for use with small children'
Essex Family History Society, 'Police History'