Location (ground floor of) Old Town Hall, High Street Brading
Map location exact or closely approximate
Year opened unknown
Year closed unknown
Century of Operation 1600-1699, 1700-1799, 1800-1899
Building Type Lock Up, Stocks, Town Hall
Remarks Appears in the 1837 penal statistics described as a borough gaol and lock up house (nil return).
'Town Hall incorporating lock-up, stocks and whipping post. C17 in origin, altered in C18 and restored in 1875. Ground floor left side stone rubble, right side 1st floor red brick has red brick arcade, the rear part is of Isle of Wight stone rubble. South gable has C19 applied framing in eclectic design. Old tiled roof with C19 iron weathervane. Front elevation is partly stone with 2 C18 round-headed brick arches with cross-shaped iron tie. Stringcourse. 2 casements with leaded lights and cogged cornice below. Open ground floor has stone flagstones. C17 lock-up to left hand side with iron grille over door with 3 diamond shaped bars. Wooden door of horizontal planks. Interior has wooden bench, the bottom part probably C17 the upper part renewed in C19. Right hand side has whipping post up to ceiling, a chamfered post with lambs-tongue stops and holes for inserting chains. Beside this the-wooden stocks, C17 or C18 in two pieces on wooden supports. Unusually five holes. Half winder stair to upper room which has early C19 stone fireplace with pilasters. Roof of 1875 with through purlins and queen struts. First floor was the meeting place of the bailiffs and burgesses of Brading until the C18 when it was converted into a school. Brown's print of 1821 shows the building was originally timber framed on the first floor with diagonal tension braces.'
We don’t have any historical or contemporary pictures of this lock-up at present. If you could give us one, or maybe several, we would be delighted! Follow this link to submit an image of this lock-up. For more information on how to photograph lock ups for the purposes of historical research, please see our User Guide.